Lighting Workshop Exercises

I went to a Portrait Lighting workshop by my old boss and really enjoyed the experience. Unlike the one I attended years back, this workshop had more heart and gave us two of the most important things we needed to know - the business and creative side of photography.

I worked for Heidi for about 2 years when she ventured into SEO and this was during bad economic times. We mass produced articles stuffed with keywords and dealed with clients who knew better than pay the company on time. Since she is a photographer by profession and a manager at her family's business, she seldom stayed in the office for long hours. But when she had photo shoots, she would invite me to tag along and I would take in all the things I could learn from her. She also gave me some event coverage gigs, from which I earned a bit more to save up for a DSLR, even though the pay was kind of "sulit" -- P 2,500 to P 3,000 for photography PLUS a press release!

Black Ink Communications did not fare well so she had to close down the writing section. In fact, the SEO section couldn't have lingered if not for their camera equipment and studio rentals. Since it was also an adjustment period for our clients, with Google becoming wiser and rejecting keyword-stuffed articles, it would take a long time before the writing dept could become self-sustaining so it was a wise decision to shut it down. She talked to us at a restaurant below our office in Maginhawa and I must say, even though Van Gogh is Bipolar had this very serious and dramatic atmosphere, I didn't get too sad nor suicidal. She gave us the projects and contacts of the old clients and encouraged us to set up our own SEO business, which never really happened.

Fastforward to 2012, I'm now on my third year of graduate studies and working remotely for a US company, still writing. When I found out that Camera Cart was organizing a Lighting Workshop, I thought of signing up and rekindling my love for photography.

Heidi gave us exercises (one of the many) to see the differences among the lighting attachments or modifiers used in studio portrait photography. The light modifiers we used were the octabox, big softbox, small softbox, strip light, beauty dish, reflective umbrella, shoot through umbrella, barn door, snoot and grid or honeycomb.

Please forgive my lens, it's not that sharp anymore plus I forgot to set the white balance! But here are the results :)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie views: "Moments of Love"

MSG Kills Dogs -- But Not My Aunt's!

How to Enroll Your BDO Account for Internet Banking