Guitar Adventures

Nothing gives me much satisfaction as playing the guitar and singing.  I learned to play the guitar at a young age -- courtesy of my uncle and cousins who would istambay* outside the house while drinking gin buko** or gin bulag, singing and playing the guitar. They taught me to play the chords and I just learned from there.

I can say that I am a decent guitar player... I mean I strum the guitar and sing, but not really anything fancy like picking or plucking strings.  I was content with just strumming the chords and singing along with it.  Back in the Philippines, my sister Jam would play the piano and I would sing to any song.  We sing the songs from the songbook from beginning to end to our heart's content.  Since coming to America though, I decided to learn to pick and pluck strings.  I realized this after being exposed to so many talented acoustic guitarist YouTube sensations (this is another story).



One singer really caught my attention.  She does not have many covered songs compared to the other YouTubers and she even does not have that many views for her covered songs but for me she is so awesome!

Meet Sally Greenwood.  Greenwood has such a great voice and she plays the guitar effortlessly.  She is a singer/songwriter from the Turks and Caicos Islands.  I am currently learning her cover of Caught Up in Your Love by Ari Hest.  I just like her laid-back version that's so relaxing to hear, as if you are lying on the beach on a peaceful night.



* istambay = A Filipino word derived from the English expression "stand by" which could literally mean a person readily available or be present without action

** gin buko = Ginebra san miguel with Buko juice

~ Lizette

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie views: "Moments of Love"

MSG Kills Dogs -- But Not My Aunt's!

How to Enroll Your BDO Account for Internet Banking